Sunday, June 3, 2012

03.06.2012 Fort Thompson, SD

Day 10: Snake Creek Recreation Area, SD to Fort Thompson, SD

Sunday June 3, 2012, 72 miles (116 km) - Total so far: 572 miles (921 km)


This was the toughest day of the trip yet. As is the routine, the day starts with a large climb, but after the initial climb it isn't too bad, at least for a little while. As is also tradition so far, the climb before Chamberlain, SD was more than I was really expecting.

I stopped in Chamberlain, SD for a long lunch break and restocked all my water plus purchased extra bottles of gatorade. After lunch the real struggle began. The first climb is as expected, you have to climb away from the river, it was exhausting but not too bad. However, there was no reward for this climb, as I started descending the other side signs warned of "road work" and "pavement ends". Not exactly the signs you want to see for a long descent. By the time I reached the bottom through mostly pavement but sporadic gravel I had no momentum built up for the second climb, which also had several sections of missing pavement (for added fun). This climb took everything out of me, I was already a bit tired from the ride to Chamberlain, SD and the first climb out, now add the heat and this climb just was my enemy for the day. After getting up and over this climb it wasn't too bad the rest of the way to Fort Thompson.

After the heat and the climbs, I am rewarding myself to some AC and TV. After getting cleaned up, I picked some food up at the convenience store next to the motel and watched a little TV while I relaxed and then shortly fell asleep rather early as usual.