Saturday, June 2, 2012

02.06.2012 Snake Creek Recreation Area, SD

Day 09: South Shore Lakeside Use Area, SD to Snake Creek Recreation Area, SD

Saturday June 2, 2012, 78 miles (126 km) - Total so far: 500 miles (805 km)


Again starting the day climbing up and away from the Missouri River. Continued on to Fairfax, SD for breakfast, really not much available in town but with a population of around 100 I was really not expecting much. From there the riding wasn't hard on through Bonesteel, SD to Burke, SD. It was a warm day so a few breaks in between to get out of the sun and take and eat a snack. By the time I rolled into Burke I was hot and pretty tired. I found a grocery store and plopped down on the sidewalk in front of it with a cold drink and rested under the awning. As I rested there a lady came out of the store and gave me a snack and another cold drink. It was just the boost I needed for the day. When I was on the AT we would call this type of thing "trail magic" (unexpected acts of kindness from).

As I continued out of town with some new energy I was stopped by Phil who is also cyclist. He is also originally from the East Coast so I stopped and chatted with him for awhile. The stop in Burke, SD was just the thing for a tired, drained day. After leaving Burke, I road on to the Snake Creek Recreation Area. As I came up to the entrance station the girls at the booth told me they were completely filled. It is a long way to anything else listed on the map as camping options so I talked with them for awhile and convinced them to help me find a spot. It turned out they had one handicap spot being held that hadn't been claimed so they put me there for the night. It really isn't a great site (mostly concrete and hardly any shade) but it is right next to the water and rest rooms and it means I am done for the day. I showered and set up camp and made a good dinner.

A long day today, another long one tomorrow as I try to make it to Pierre, SD and finish this leg of the trip on Monday.