Monday, June 4, 2012

04.06.2012 Pierre, SD

Day 11: Fort Thompson, SD to Pierre, SD

Monday June 4, 2012, 64 miles (103 km) - Total so far: 636 miles (1,024 km)


Since I stayed in the motel last night, there was little to pack, but instead of getting an early start, I stayed in bed a bit longer, and got another shower in the morning. Unfortunately, a soft bed when my back was use to hard surfaces ended with me sleeping wrong and now my back is a bit tight.

A beautiful morning for riding. Perfect temperature and no wind to speak of. With a sore back (which actually feels perfectly fine while I am in the saddle, only can't really stand) I opted to take the Lake Sharpe Option, riding north of the Missouri River instead of south. This option has a long gradual climb at the beginning of the day but then levels out to just some rolling hills along the river for the last 20+ miles. The climb was long and gradual so no problem at all. There was a good stop for breakfast at about 12 miles (Macs) so I stopped and purchased some Powerade and honey bun. By the time I reached the "flat" section of the day I looked at the clock and realized that if I kept up the current pace I would reach Pierre, SD before 1:00. I have never reached an end destination this early in the day. I did slow down a bit as the road follows the river it is a nice view even if its not the vistas from the official route and I still got into town just after 1:00.

I stopped and got my chores done: bike shop, lunch, bank, chiropractor and then headed over to my hosts house for the night. Had a great dinner and now relaxing with some ice on my back and updating my journals (which I have been absolutely horrible about updating (or even writing at the end of the day). I also realized I haven't taken many photos, this tends to be due to either weather (I don't take the camera out if its raining, or the right photo moments tend to arise as I am either climbing or descending a hill so I don't stop to get those either. I missed probably 5 really good photos for one of these two reasons.

Taking another day off here in Pierre, SD. Giving my back time to rest and hopefully be a bit more flexible on Wednesday. This also gives me time to finally update my journal and plan out the second leg of this trip (Pierre, SD to Glendive, MT).