Thursday, June 7, 2012

07.06.2012 Watauga, SD

Day 14: Selby, SD to Watauga, SD

Thursday June 7, 2012, 89 miles (143 km) - Total so far: 825 miles (1,328 km)


Started the day waiting for the rain to stop, it was only a brief shower so it wasn't long. Then stopped by the store to pick up some fruit and snacks for the day. Rode along with Ben until our paths split (he continued north on hwy 83 towards Bismark, ND and I headed west on hwy 12 towards Miles City, MT).

I continued back to the official Lewis and Clark route that we split from yesterday and passed through Mobridge, SD where I had my second breakfast. The riding today is not bad at all, but the wind is definitely no longer in my favor. It continued to be an uneventful day. I stopped for lunch in McLaughlin and pushed on to McIntosh. By this point the wind has picked up a bit and the sky is looking threatening. I remembered an Inn a little ways down the road listed in someone else's journal so I pushed on, I made it about half way and had to ride the last 5 to 6 miles in the thunderstorm. But I arrived to Watauga in tack, just a bit soggy.

Staying the night in the Dakota Countryside Inn. It is a wonderful place and the owners are super nice. They only have 10 rooms so I was lucky to get a space since I didn't call ahead. There is a group of 7 hunters also staying in the Inn. They let me join with them for dinner and even had homemade pie for dessert, then it was off to clean up and get to sleep.