Wednesday, May 30, 2012

30.05.2012 Elk Point, SD

Day 06: Aurelia, IA to Elk Point, SD

Wednesday May 30, 2012, 75 miles (121 km) - Total so far: 292 miles (470 km)


Today started out really nice, a little heavy on the truck traffic heading into Cherokee, IA but still nice riding. C38 was a pretty nice ride as well, lots of ups and downs as it passes through rolling hills. I will now concede to the fact that Iowa does in fact have hills. I arrived in Merrill, IA in time for lunch and stopped off at Emma Rae's Cafe. Great place, recommended for anyone passing through.

Shortly after pushing on from the cafe, it started to rain. It would continue raining for the rest of the day. Luckily from here the riding was not too bad. I continued across C44 to K18 where I connected with the official ACA route and headed for Jefferson, SD. I completed my first state, its a good feeling of progress and its nice to be on the official route. I took a brief break in Jefferson, SD out of the rain before pushing on to Elk Point, SD for the night. Camping tonight at the city park. There is a nice little plaque marking this as one of Lewis and Clark's camping sites.