Friday, June 1, 2012

01.06.2012 South Shore Lakeside Use Area, SD

Day 08: Lewis and Clark Lake State Recreation Area, SD to South Shore Lakeside Use Area, SD

Friday June 1, 2012, 70 miles (113 km) - Total so far: 422 miles (679 km)


The day started out climbing, up and away from the Missouri River. I stopped into Springfield, SD for breakfast, was told the cafe had been closed so just grabbed something from the convenience store instead of going into town and then got back on my way. A little while after leaving Springfield the rain started up again. Road on in the rain until I reached Marty. I found a nice overhang to get under and out of the rain for a nice break. Once I felt satisfied with the break I continued on my way. The rain stopped a little while after leaving Marty but was threatening to continue on later.

I arrived into Pickstown, SD and considered calling it a day and just getting a room, but the motel was filled with fishermen coming down to the lake for the weekend. Which is a good thing, helps me maintain my budget, but eventually I will give myself a break and a hotel/motel room for a night. I talked to the guy in the convenience store and he recommended the South Shore Lakeside Use Area over the Randall Creak Recreation Area, less people go there and its only $10 instead of what they charge at Randall Creek. I was still going to go to Randall Creek but it looked like it would be more work getting back to the road in the morning so went over to the South Shore since it was right off the road. As soon as I got my tent set up, it started to rain again.

The South Shore's "camping" sites are pretty much a hill sloped down towards the lake. Somebody else had already set up on the only strip of grass that was level between the road and the lake, so I set up next to them instead of the normal camp sites. Later in the evening another family showed up and was too loud, too late as the guys were fishing and not paying any attention to their kids running all over the place. Oh-well, place to sleep and then push on.