Monday, May 28, 2012

28.05.2012 Aurelia, IA

Day 04: Lizard Lake, IA to Aurelia, IA

Monday May 28, 2012, 58 miles (93 km) - Total so far: 217 miles (349 km)


Happy Memorial Day.

Another very windy day. Luckily for me I managed to get a good 22 miles in before the wind picked up. I stopped into Varina, IA and filled my water bottles at the American Legion. They also gave me some orange juice and a donut. Although windy, it is much cooler today than yesterday which helps a lot. The traffic remained light until I reached Buena Vista County near Storm Lake, IA. It then picked up significantly. I stayed just north of Storm Lake and stopped for lunch before pushing on to Alta and my final destination for the day Aurelia. There is not good way to get to Aurelia from where I was except for two busy highways. The only other options were go the whole way around adding several miles or a gravel road which was a direct line to town. Weighing the options and knowing I was a bit early to reach my friends house, that traffic was heavy on the highways and the tires handled fine on gravel, I took the gravel. It really wasn't so bad, just slow going for the next 7 miles.

I reached town and he was already home. So go in, changed and we headed to the store for some grocery shopping. I have been craving a good chef salad for awhile now, so I bought everything I needed (except it was missing the hard boiled eggs) and made myself a gigantic salad. It was delicious. Cost more than I had spent on all three previous days combined, but to me it was well worth it.

Tomorrow they are forecasting another day of this wind (although it is suppose to stay cool) so I have opted to stay in town to pick up some packages from the post office and get some "chores" done. It will also be nice to give my sunburns a day with no sun. (So when you read the next entry and there is a day missing, you understand, no you aren't missing something.)