Thursday, May 31, 2012

31.05.2012 Lewis & Clark Lake Recreation Area, SD

Day 07: Elk Point, SD to Lewis and Clark Lake Recreation Area, SD

Thursday May 31, 2012, 60 miles (97 km) - Total so far: 352 miles (566 km)


First full day in South Dakota. I got a late start, always do when I have to pack up after a rainy night. It didn't take too long to reach Vermillion, SD for breakfast, stopped off at the Market Street Cafe. After breakfast it was off through Gayville, SD to get to Yankton, SD. There is a section between Vermillion and Gayville that has you going down a "hard packed dirt and gravel road" well after a few days of rain it wasn't very "hard packed" so I headed north and took hwy 50 into Gayville. This stretch is under construction so not really suitable for riding but I made it there fine.

Once I reached Gayville I received a moment of comedic relief at the stop sign before turning across the tracks into town. (pictured below). I stopped, did a little hammer dance and progressed on my way. It was still raining when I reached Yankton, so I took shelter at a gas station for a drink and some rest. After I got through town and on the bike path the sky cleared up and it warmed up a bit. I continued down to Gavins Point Dam and the Lewis and Clark Lake State Recreation Area. This is long enough of a day for me, so I am in for the night.