Friday, June 20, 2014

Odell, IL

Day 24 (20 June 2014)
Iroquois, IL to Odell, IL
Day: 62.98 miles, Trip: 1543.82 miles

For breakfast it was back to the Iroquois Cafe. We overwhelmed the place but they kept up and the food was good. Today Ryan's dad came and joined us for the ride. We started heading out and got on the wrong road from the start but luckily it connected to our route saving us about half a mile. Unfortunately the cost was the welcome to Illinois sign. The early group was going to fast for me so I slowed down. I wish I would have continued on the highway due to the lower road quality of the road on the route.

The first rest stop was Ashkum, IL at the gas station and I snacked from the trailer and didn't stick around too long. I started feeling better for the second leg of the day and rode out with Richard. I find this is how it usually is, I need a solid 10 to 15 miles to warm up in the morning. The day is getting really hot and when we rolled into the second stop in Kempton, IL. We ducked into the local tavern for the AC, ice water and a snack. The last leg of the day took us past a wind farm and I got a few good photos of Richard. This gave me a new goal of getting photos of the other riders while riding.




For the night we are staying in Odell, IL (pop 1000). For a small population they have a really nice town park and swimming pool. We are camping in the park and were able to use the pool. Ron and Conner impressed everyone with there skills on the diving board. We even got to toy around with using a gopro off the board. Now I really want to get one of these cameras.

After swimming we headed off to dinner at a place called Rentz Tap Room. The food was very large portioned and affordable. They weren't equipped to handle the size of our group but we are pretty good at being patient. On our way out, the bar tender treated us to a free shot (a naughty girl scout) It tasted like a mint cookie.