Thursday, June 19, 2014

Iroquois, IL

Day 23 (19 June 2014)
Denver, IN to Iroquois, IL
Day: 96.88 miles, Trip: 1480.84 miles

A group of 6 headed out super early, the rest of us stuck around for breakfast provided by the church. The day started with a short bike trail which was really nice. The temperatures were cool and I rode by myself listening to the rest of my audiobook (1776). We are going through some pretty rural areas of IN so there are not many towns for rest stops. As a result they are typically just side of the road stops. Even when we have a town it often only has a gas station.

Today, as unusual as it is, my legs feel great. I am holding a good average. Shortly after leaving Buffalo, IN I caught up with the 3 amigos (Ron, Mason, and Catherine). I slowed down and enjoyed riding with them. Shortly before the last rest stop I looked in my mirror and Mason and Catherine weren't there. I missed the crash but when I looked back they were on the ground. I rode with Andy for the rest of the day. We made great time making it to Brook, IN. This is another milestone, we crossed over into Central Time. 



As we rode into Brook, IN there was some music playing from the speakers on main street, it was weird. It started as a short stop but ended up taking an hour with Richard, Larry, Andy and myself waiting inside the gas station waiting out a thunderstorm. It looked as if it started clearing up so Richard and I pushed on. However, about 4 miles down the road we had to duck for cover under some lady's covered patio for the second wave of the storm.



A Short while later we were on our way again, and again the weather turned hot and humid. We rolled into the small town of Iroquois, IL (pop 200). Another milestone o the day crossing into Illinois and our 8th state. There park has a very large pavilion with a state so instead of camping we all set up shop on the stage, on the picnic tables and in hammocks under the pavilion. After showers it was o to dinner at the Iroquois Cafe which had an amazing burger.