Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Napoleon, ND

Day 42 (08 July 2014)
Kathryn, ND to Napoleon, ND
Day:  101.38 miles, Trip: 2624.61 miles

We all started getting up early. The thought of a century into a headwind just has people wanting to get it over with. Kristen and Ryan made pancakes for us and then it was time to hit the road. The 4 mile ride back to hwy 46 had me tired already and the day had just begun. The day proved to be a battle against the wind, the hardest day so far. With the wind even on downgrades there was no break. It was definitely another ear bud in, head down kind of day all day long. In addition to the wind and the long straight hwy 46 there were not many towns. 2 of the 3 rest stops had the trailer parked on the side of the road. The lone town was Gackle, ND.  Gackle actually had a little bicycle hostel and a couple food options. I chose the wrong one, I ate at the ice cream place and somebody treated to lunch at the bar for those having pizza there. Oh-well it was still a good stop.

I finally pushed on from Gackle and rode the rest of the way to Napolean, ND (pop 800). Tonight we are staying in the park here in town. We stopped by the White Maid for dinner. I was expecting another small burger like I had for lunch but I was pleasantly surprised with a large, very good burger instead. After dinner w stopped by the Downtowner Bar for some Tour de France highlights and a beer. I also got to use the wifi which was nice and strong to get a new audio book. And finally back to the park and time for bed.