Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hebron, ND

Day 44 (10 July 2014)
Bismarck, ND to Hebron, ND
Day:  70.88 miles, Trip:  2766.57 miles

The day started with a trip into town for breakfast at Perkins. We headed out of town as a good sized group following the lead of Skylar. As we left town it broke into smaller groups though and we rode at our own paces.  I spent most of the day with Richard. The first rest stop was in New Salem ND. This was a unique rest stop. For one there was a giant cow on the side of the hill next to the town name sign. The people in town were super nice. Deloris, from the local paper, went around town collecting donations for us and raised about $120. The lady in the Muddy River Coffee House gave all the cyclists discounts. I wasn't sure what I wanted so she told me I wanted a blueberry smoothie and a cranberry scone. It hit the spot indeed. I rode with Richard out of New Salem and we got on I-94. We decided to skip the rest stop and just stayed on the highway all the way to Hebron, ND (pop 750). We arrived to town in time for a late lunch at the Dark Side of the Brew and each had a delicious salad.





The good news about Hebron, ND is that it is a mail drop and the best mail drop of the trip. I received my new Schwalbe marathon tires. They are still heavy but they are only 1.5 inch with less tread tires than the 2.0 tread tires (Schwalbe Marathon Mondials) that were on it already. At this point there are still 3 of us without a flat tire, myself, Joe and Andy. I am not a fan of changing flat tires so I stay with the heavy duty tires.

Tonight we are staying in the Hebron, ND community center. This is equipped with a kitchen, plenty of outlets and bathrooms. So we are set for the night. Kristen, Michelle, Richard and myself headed over to a pizza place for dinner. The food wasn't the greatest but not horrible. But the owner left leaving her 2 younger daughters to close up. The one girl was definitely trying to show us she was the one that was in charge.