Thursday, June 5, 2014

Old Forge, NY

Day 09 (05 June 2014)
Newcomb, NY to Old Forge, NY
Day: 64.52 miles, Trip: 540.36

The first day of the Adirondacks kicked my ass. I am not sure if it was just tough and hot or I was feeling the effects of the day off. Today was not as bad as yesterday. Not easy, but better than yesterday. It was cooler which helped, plus there were less large climbs.

We rolled out of camp with the thought of breakfast being 10 miles away, this turned into 18 miles. The breakfast when I did get it were just what I needed. From Long Lake, NY it was a short ride to Blue Mountain Lake for the first rest stop.The ride got a little tougher heading to the second stop about a mile before I saw a stack of bikes outside a diner, so I joined in for some rest and food. Then after a long break it was a quick sign in at the rest stop in Inlet, NY and then on (through the wrong route, which happened to be shorter) to camp at Old Forge Resort Campground.



Disclaimer: they were not all his


We arrived relatively early so lots of talk around the table while we ate. Today was the first mail drop so a lot of the riders shared some of the goodies from home. Richard's wife sent brownies that were delicious. 

Tomorrow we reach Lake Ontario.