Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Royalton, MN

Day 36 (02 July 2014)
Dalbo, MN to Royalton, MN
Day:  60.47 miles, Trip:  2256.61 miles

Another late start, with breakfast available. Toast with some fresh homemade strawberry jam made by Sherry. The jam was amazing and we polished off the jar in no time. I also did my interview with Duncan. It wasn't exactly in Iowa like planned, but we found a John Deere tractor to shoot in front of.

Today was another ear bud in, head down kind of day as we battled through a strong cross wind.  We stopped for the first rest stop in Milaca, MN. There was a nice market in town so we hung out for a little while having second breakfast. The second rest stop was going to be in Ramey. On my way there a self contained cyclist stopped me and let me know of the road closure and suggested I take the detour. So I followed his advice and took the route around the construction zone. Turns out this one was a good call. Sometimes I actually listen when the sign says "Road Closed". The rest stop was then moved over to Morrill.




When I reached Royalton, MN (pop 1250) I saw a sign written in chalk on the street welcoming us to town and offering us cold water and cookies in the city hall building. I stopped with Larry and chatted for awhile. It turns out most people passed right. We are staying right outside of town at the Royalton Sportsman Club Campground located right on the Mississippi River. The community got together and organized for us to have a portable camp shower and put together a dinner for us. It was excellent. After dinner we talked about the trip and met Rita, a local with MS. I decided to sleep in my hammock for the night. It was very comfortable, but I really need to get a bug net. The mosquitoes were eating me alive.