Thursday, July 24, 2014

Libby, MT

Day 58 (24 July 2014)
Eureka, MT to Libby, MT
Day:  72.19 miles, Trip: 3666.76 miles

Breakfast was at Cafe Jax, another great breakfast stop along the route. After breakfast we headed out and as usual in the morning the group was traveling too fast for me. I fell into a pocket with nobody ahead of me and nobody behind me. This caused me to miss a turn and I stayed on route instead of taking the alternate route which we apparently were suppose to take. I spent the day riding on the west side of the lake instead of the east side of the lake.




I came to this realization around mile 30. I passed the same couple in a truck twice and it was clear that I was the only cyclist they had seen. That and the fact that I haven't seen the rest stop and its been too long. Oh-well, on my own for the day. The ride was great and the weather cooperated. It was cool and cloudy and although it threatened rain it never did (at least until we got to town). When I was approaching town I expected to catch up to everybody else but instead I see the lead van and find out I am way ahead of everybody else. When Duncan was passing me in the van he got to see me eat pavement. My front tire had slid off an abrupt road edge. I managed to unclip but not clear the bike before I rolled with it. I was fine, the bike was fine so no worries.






I arrived in Libby in time for a late lunch and I was hungry not having stopped all day long. After lunch I rode over to camp and waited for everybody else to get there. I did 3 less miles and without stops arrived 1-2 hours ahead of the group. The park/camp is right next to a grocery store so most of the riders set up shop in there deli seating area. It had free refills on drinks, wifi and power outlets. It is a grocery store so there is also plenty of food. Then it was back to camp for bed.