Thursday, June 12, 2014

Geneva on the Lake, OH

Day 16 (12 June 2014)
Lake Erie State Park, NY to Geneva on the Lake State Park, OH
Day: 103.15 miles, Trip: 1033.82 miles

Today was the first century (over 100 miles) of the trip. It was definitely an interesting day. I started early and was actually on the road before 8 am. The weather was threatening rain and we were all anxious to start the day. Another development for the day is a new section rider joining us today (Todd  from Cleveland). I would not want to start my tour off on a century day, but more power to him.




Well it didn't only threaten rain, rain it did. By the time I reached the first rest stop which was at the Freeport Diner (In PA) it was pouring. We got out of the rain and celebrated our 5th state by having an awesome breakfast. The best part was the toast with a cinnamon butter. Eventually the rain slowed and we pushed on. Shortly lately though it came down even heavier. I was soaked through. I really only saw because of the taillight of another bicycle. Luckily it didn't last long.

When I rolled into Erie, PA I was stopped from heading the correct way to join them for a detour to a brewery (Breweire). We each had a flight and some food and to top it off a local lady gave us $60 to put towards our drinks. After lunch it was back on our way. As I was riding out of down another lady handed me and Eric some money out of her window at a stop light for a donation.

After our second rest stop (just outside of Erie) it poured again. The rain and headwind aren't making the first century any easier. It just means constant stopping to put on and take of the rain jacket. In the afternoon we crossed over into Ohio (our 6th state and our 3rd state of the day). We stopped in Conneaut where Mike got Iced for his birthday. This started a new thing that would continue through the group the rest of the trip.





I rolled out with Richard and continued through Ashtabula for a restroom break and into Geneva on the Lake, Ohio which is a cheesy beach town without the beach. From here it was only a few miles to camp for the night at the state park. After today's century we crossed over 1000 miles for the trip!