Saturday, May 31, 2014

Jigger Johnson Campground

Day 04 (31 May 2014)
Naples, ME to Jigger Johnson Campground, NH
Day: 54.77 miles, Trip: 259.45 miles

My brakes are squeaking and I really didn't feel comfortable going down any steep grades. I remembered a bike shop a ways back in Naples and decided to head a couple miles back and see if they could help me out. Unfortunately the shop didn't open until 10:00 am which would put me WAY behind my group, I decided to wait anyway since it was only about an hour. At 9:30 the owner came up and said he had to run to town and he would try and make it back by 10:00. He didn't get back until 10:30. I almost left but waited this long what is another 15 minutes right.



He set me up with some new brakes and I bought a new seat bag to get some of the weight out of my handle bar bag. He also gave my bike a tune up and got me back on the road giving me some good route advice so that I could catch up with the rest of the group. It was after 11:00 am before I reached the campground again and got back on the road towards Jigger Johnson Campground. I took a shortcut to cut out some distance and just stuck to the highway which has a nice shoulder instead of the longer route. Between Fryburg, ME and Conway, NH we crossed the border and I entered our second state. I finally caught up with the group at that last rest stop in Conway, NH.


  

From the rest stop it was a beautiful climb up to Jigger Johnson Campground. The campground is half way up the climb of Mount Kancamagus. It is a forest service campground. I set up my tent but we were told by the people running the campground that we had to move a few of our tents off the grass and onto the gravel. I really liked my spot but just moved it anyway. After dinner I called it a night. Tomorrow we get to climb the steep part of Kancamagus.