Wednesday, June 20, 2012

20.06.2012 Lost River Field Station, ID

Day 27: Idaho Falls, ID to Lost River Field Station, ID

Wednesday June 20, 2012, 101 miles (163 km) - Total so far: 1,616 miles (2,601 km)


Got a good start, cheating and taking a ride to the west side of town to avoid morning traffic. The day rolled by with no wind to speak of and easy terrain. The route today (hwy 20) crosses the INL, so it is several miles of just nothing, but also with light traffic. I reached Arco, ID just after 13:00 for lunch. Stopped at the Pickle Place, its a nice place to stop if you are passing through. As I was getting ready to head out Emily started rolling by and stopped and we chatted for a good while. She is heading from San Francisco to D.C. with stops along the way to see National Parks and Friends. I was surprised, I didn't expect to see any other cyclists in this area.

I felt foolish that I was just at my friends house and forgot to ask for directions to where I am going. It has been 7 years since I have been here and I knew the general direction but couldn't remember the exact way to get here. I just followed what I thought was right and ended up getting here just fine. Lost River Field Station is home to the Idaho State University Geology Field Camp (as well as other field camps) I love it here. I got to visit with PKL, Scott and was really happy to see Cathy again. I will be staying here for a couple days before continuing north.