Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Republic, WA

Day 63 (29 July 2014)
Beaver Creek Lodge, WA to Republic, WA
Day:  83.26 miles, Trip:  3954.85 miles

Surprisingly I was actually up early. I tried being quiet (studying to be a ninja like Richard) but accidentally woke up Kristen. She was shocked that I was getting up at 5 am and exclaimed this loudly. I told her to go back to sleep but she got up to ride with us. We beat the heat, at least until Colville, WA where we had breakfast at the 103 cafe. It proved to be more of a coffee shop, but good enough. It was starting to get really hot. We stopped at a gas station at the bottom of the climb to use the restroom, fill our water bottles and get some powerade.



About 6 miles up we hit the rest stop to fill up bottles and get some snacks. 8 more miles we got to refill again with young (Bethany saw a black bear shortly after passing Young). I had heard something moving in the woods beside me but never saw what it was. Up until this point I was feeling great. About 8 miles to the top of Shermans Pass I really slowed down. It was more the heat than the climb itself. At the top Skylar had fruit for us and everyone hung out in the shade. I decided I would rather ride down and get an early dinner at the restaurant at the bottom.



Richard and Kristen seemed to have the same idea and we rode down together. We timed it perfectly and had very little traffic and an amazing descent. While sitting there we were placing bets on who would be the next one down the mountain and I actually got it right with Eric and Jen. Tonight we are staying at the fairgrounds outside of Republic, WA (pop 1000). It has outlets, showers, bathrooms so we are set. Another early night, getting up even earlier tomorrow.