Monday, June 23, 2014

Wyoming, IA

Day 27 (23 June 2014)
Orion, IL to Wyoming, IA
Day: 102.66 miles, Trip: 1778.04 miles

I was so comfortable on the couch that Richard had to come in to wake me up. I was getting up when Catherine came and said that everybody else had already gone. It turns out they were not gone, they were just outside by the trailer. It was worth it to sleep in even if today is a century ride. As always I am really slow in the morning and seemed to struggle to the first rest stop in Reynolds, IL.

From here my legs settled down and we crossed the Mississippi River and crossed into our 9th state and my home state lately, Iowa. The rest stop was in the walmart parking lot in Muscatine, IA. This was excellent for me since I have been out of cash and could get cash back here without using an ATM. It is different now that we have hills again. Yes, Iowa in fact does have hills. My legs have gotten use to the flat but I am enjoying the hills.




I pushed on early from the second rest stop and was surprised by Kristen with a bonus rest stop with ice cream. The next rest stop was a short way away in Lowden, IA. At the rest stop Kenny and Skylar decided to do a gravel road "short cut" so Joe and I road the route to see what was quicker. Joe and I ended up winning but not by much. Even so Jen ended up blowing by all four of us. During our ride Joe and I had a dog cut out in front of us. First going after Joe and then turned right in front of me. I am pretty sure I ran over its tail and then it was almost hit by a car. Later riders said it charged them as well, I guess some dogs never learn.

Tonight we are staying at the fairgrounds of Wyoming, IA (pop 500). There was no shower, but at least a hose to rinse off with. Tonight a past rider and his family provided us with a very delicious meal. They also had a beautiful blue healer dog. We played with her until we were both tired. A pretty early night tonight, tired after a long day of riding.