Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Brownsville, MN

Day 29 (25 June 2014)
Elkader, IA to Brownsville, MN
Day: 85.68 miles, Trip: 1943.72 miles

The morning stated with snacks provided by the church and then some bike maintenance, including rotating my tires, before getting on the road. I took my time getting warmed up. Had two early rest stops in Farmersburg and Marquette. The section between Monona and Marquette was actually heading east and we had a nice tailwind. The downhill into Marquette was amazing. I only hit 44 mph but had to break twice to avoid hitting other cyclists. Including Ryan who lost his bike computer and had to brake in front of me.

Things changed between Marquette and Lansing. This included 2 or 3 large climbs. One of which had a nice downhill the others, not so much. In Lansing we stopped  at the other place only to be told it was the wrong OP. This one was bar only, no food. The sign was very similar to the OP I knew in Cedar Falls. So we grabbed lunch elsewhere. It wasn't great but it was better than I had in the trailer. I sat in Lansing for awhile procrastinating getting back on the road. There was no need, the last 25 miles were actually really nice and mostly followed the Mississippi River. In New Albin we crossed into Minnesota (our 10th state). I stopped for a photo and then continued on to Brownsville, MN (pop 500) where we are staying for the night. Tonight we are staying at the Zion Evangelical Church. It has been nice sleeping indoors so not having to pack up a wet tent. I cooked dinner with Richard and then hit the sack.